Tuesday 29 October 2013

Sew: The Quirky Top

So, I know it's been radio silence over here for a while but SO MUCH STUFF has gotten done around here, it kind of feels like I have a grown up house a little. Just a little.

Also, before we get started, photoshop has kicked the bucket on my computer, so you're just gonna have to deal with crappy photos. Womp womp.
Blending in...
I've been meaning to post this top for some while, maybe since August? Regardless, I won this fabric over from The Quirky Peach when Sally was doing her Spring Break Giveaway Challenge and was pretty pumped to get it because it was the fabric I voted for. Huzzah!

I got it in the mail and had no idea what to make with it. Eventually, when spring turned to summer and my life calmed down, I decided I was going to make me a top. So I present the Quirky Top.

I used the bodice from my staple, Simplicity 2444, but the altered copy I made for the Mad Men Challenge over here. That part more or less went okay. It was a little snug, but I could still squeeze into it.
Workin' it just for your enjoyment.
Then the trouble started. I planned on making a flounce that would more or less be a peplum. I had just enough fabric to squeeze 'er out. It turned out fine, but when I attached it to my bodice...well.....it was WAY too tight. Uh oh. I had measure my hips where it was supposed to fall, and that part turnout out fine, but apparently, right after my waist, my body increases rapidly towards my hip size instead of gradually.

Well.......sh*t.

Now what? I can't just leave it.
So, I did what any self respecting seamstress would do and I added the weirdest little flap things into the sides in order to make room for my oddly expanding dimensions. I guess it works?
I used a big heavy metal jacket zipper for the back and a vintage button from my stash for the enclosure.
I wanted the peplum to go all the way around, hence the, ahem, interesting closure in the back. Whatevs, it works.
Yeah, I tried something at the bottom of that one seam and, yeah, I don't know....
Finally, I finished everything off with some black bias tape I bought from the store. I actually prefer making my own, but I was curious to see how store-bought would be.

Overall, I don't know if I'm going to get much wear out of this because, honestly, I think I realized I'm not a peplum girl, and also, I kind of have to take short breaths still! The peplum makes my hips look way bigger than they really are and I also like breathing. But, I learned how to use seam binding on the whole inside of this!!!!! Which is pretty flippin' awesome!

So if nothing else, that's pretty cool.

What about you? Have you ever made something that really doesn't suit you? Would you wear this top?

Thanks again, Sally!!! :)

{Yellow}

No comments:

Post a Comment